What is Hygge Homeschool?

Hygge (pronounced hue-guh) is a Danish word used when acknowledging a feeling or moment, whether alone or with friends, at home or out, ordinary or extraordinary as cozy, charming or special. (hyggehouse.com)


When I first heard of hygge, I realized that this is what I had been working towards. Hygge is what I want - in my home, in my soul, in my relationships, and in our homeschool. 

I'm Chloe, and I created this online space to share the homeschool lessons (in the form of interactive notebooks) that I put together for my six kids.

Assembling curriculum plans is a joy of mine. They're not perfect for everyone, but I've kid-tested them at least once (some plans have gone through a few kids!) and I'm happy with the final products I share here. Some important notes to consider, to know if my lessons could be a good fit with you:

  1. Very little content is original. I am, primarily, assembling complete lessons from pieces of books, websites, videos, and other curriculum. I write little original content. I've spent so much time testing curriculum on my kids that I have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. Boxed/complete curriculum has never worked for us, for a variety of reasons. Rich text and creative writing lessons in notebooks is our core.
  2. All my lessons are secular. We are not religious. We're liberal and science-minded. I am not infusing those values in to my teaching, but if it is a problem for you -there it is.
  3. Plans are made with big families in mind. I have six kids and I don't teach them as a group. I write lessons that can be done as independently as possible, though I sit with my littlest ones and work one-on-one with them primarily. Third grade and up lessons are actually written to the student and not the teacher, so they can manage the lesson themselves (and I help as needed)
  4. Technology is a key component. Like I said, I have a lot of kids. Besides not having the time to lecture to six kids individually, they don't like it. I implement videos and technology to teach frequently.
  5. Lessons are based on CA state standards. When I am deciding what we will learn for the year, I go through the state standards list and write down each of the requirements and then find my own ways to fill them. I do not guarantee that every lesson meets state requirements, but this is how I create an outline.
  6. I'm making no profit from this. I create these plans for my kids and I share them because I like to. It's as simple as that.

Curious about what an interactive notebook actually is and why we use them? Check out THIS POST!

Curious about how we schedule our school time? We use block scheduling and I explain it in THIS POST.


If you use and enjoy any of my lesson plans, let me know! If you have recommendations or find errors, let me know! If you just feel like complaining, let someone else know!  ;)

Enjoy!

Popular Posts